Jebediah_Gogorah
Narrador de Mago
Narrador de Mago
Mensajes miarroba: 9.932
Antigüedad: 30 de Octubre de 2016
Contactar:

[M20] Alianza de los Dispares

Mensaje por Jebediah_Gogorah » 15 Jul 2019, 12:00

Hilo sobre esta tercera alianza que aparece en Mago 20 aniversario.

Viene de aquí: https://webvampiro.mforos.com/464527/12 ... -dispares/
"- ¡¡¡Fenomenales poderes cósmicos!!!... y un espacio chiquitín para vivir" (Genio - Aladdin)

ImagenImagen

Pagliacci
Narrador de Vampiro y de Mago
Mensajes miarroba: 2.302
Antigüedad: 26 de Septiembre de 2017

Re: M20: Alianza de los Dispares

Mensaje por Pagliacci » 12 Mar 2020, 21:04

Pues como me ha parecido interesante, voy a fusilar la página que dedica Brucato a justificar la aparición de la Alianza Dispar. Que los dioses del copia-pega sean misericordiosos.

Spoiler
Mostrar
Why Did You Bring Back the Disparate Crafts? Does Mage Really Need Them? And Do You Think Those Groups Would Actually Band Together?

Let’s be honest here: The original Mage was the creation of a bunch of 20-something American suburban kids, all but one of whom (Travis Williams) were white folks. The cultural spectrum was Euro-American aside from two ethnically ste-reotyped groups that were quite, as we might say these days, problematic in execution. That’s not downing the folks who wrote Mage 1st Edition and its subsequent books; we worked with what we had to work with, which in 1993 did not include social media or an extensive Internet research network. But Mage 20 is a product of the twenty-first century, and we have a lot more to work with now then we had in 1993.

Even in that original edition, the authors mentioned “other Traditions” beyond the core nine and the Hollow Ones. And so as my authors and I expanded the background and history behind Mage’s world, we began creating groups that were based in cultures other than the Euro-American default. Because of the intensely mystical cultures of the Middle East, I felt we needed at least one Middle-Eastern magickal society – specifically, a Muslim group – to round out the background of the Nine Traditions. Given the modern origins of two of those Nine Traditions, we had some room to move in terms of previous groups. Sam Chupp, Brian Campbell, Kathleen Ryan, Bill Bridges and I cobbled together the historical background for Mage. (No such history existed in Mage 1st Edition, beyond talk of “Pure Ones,” the Mythic Age, and the encroachment of the Technocracy.) Sam Inabinet (himself a Sufi mystic) and I came up with the Ahl-i-Batin, while Bill and I began referring to the “Crowned Ones,” or Solificati: an alchemical Tradition that had likewise left the Council by the twentieth century. This background history began appearing in late 1993, by way of The Book of Shadows, The Fragile Path, and the original Sons of Ether Tradition Book.

A bit over a year later, I gathered a group of writers to-gether to create The Book of Crafts, which introduced 10 new groups based in real-world mystic lore. Kevin Andrew Murphy’s Children of Knowledge became the modern incarnation of the Solificati, while other authors created groups that ranged from my perennial favorites the Wu Lung and Bata’a, to the cringe-inducing Wu-Keng. (I left that group out of Mage 20 for a host of reasons, ranging from linguistic stumbles to cul-tural insults and unintentional transphobia.) Despite our best intentions, we still had a very limited pool of information to work with, and so even the best of those groups suffered from embarrassing linguistic and cultural errors. For the most part, though, I liked having a greater diversity of groups, cultures, and practices represented in Mage. When later, in Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade, we added other groups, I counted that as a win. By that time, Internet social media was beginning to rise, and so we had begun to work past the cultural and linguistic mistakes involved with the earlier groups. I had some serious plans for certain groups – notably the Wu Lung, Bata’a, Batini, and Ngoma – but then, toward the end of 1998, I left the White Wolf staff to concentrate on Sorcerers Crusade and my own creations.
Última edición por Pagliacci el 12 Mar 2020, 21:15, editado 1 vez en total.

Pagliacci

Mensaje por Pagliacci » 12 Mar 2020, 21:08

Spoiler
Mostrar
During the brainstorming for Mage Revised Edition, it was decided that the epic sprawl of Mage needed to be cleaned up and pruned back. And so, Jesse Heinig was told to wipe out the Crafts in that edition, folding the survivors into the Nine Traditions. During the Revised era, that was the official story: The Crafts were essentially gone – exterminated in a genocidal fury by the Technocratic Union, aside from a few refugees in the also-ravaged Traditions or on the fringes of the world. And I hated that idea.

First off, as bad as the Technocracy could be, the idea that they suddenly decided to go on a global killing spree – exterminating hundreds, probably thousands, of human beings while wiping a bunch of cultural small-t traditions off the map within a matter of weeks – seemed extreme even by 1990s standards. The fact that the majority of those exterminated people and traditions also came from marginalized groups – women, Asians, Africans, Polynesians, African-Americans, and even fervent white Christians – left a nasty taste in my mouth, especially given the Technocracy’s Euro-American culture. The Crafts weren’t all hanging out in the same place, either; source material placed them all over the world. And so, when viewed from a metaplot angle, the purge of the Crafts would have been a horrific act of worldwide genocide.

It presumed that the Technocracy somehow, suddenly, and with extreme precision, eliminated deep-roots cultural legacies like Chinese High Magick, Islamic and Zoroastrian miracle-work, a global network of alchemical guilds, and the cultural tradition collec-tively known as “voodoo”: a tradition with millions of adherents on four continents, and which arose from a vast slave-trade and its racist repercussions. That idea wasn’t just dark – it was war-crimes-level stuff. Combined with the Calcutta nuke metaplot event from Vampire Revised, such a purge would make the Technocracy a force of unapologetic evil, destroying any semblance (at least for most Mage fans) of a potentially sympathetic “honorable opposition.” Considering that Brian Campbell, Jesse Heinig, and I had only recently recast the Union in a more sympathetic light with the wildly popular Guide to the Technocracy, that concept went down poorly with Magefans and creators alike.

Pagliacci

Mensaje por Pagliacci » 12 Mar 2020, 21:11

Spoiler
Mostrar
And then there’s the logistics side of things: In order to pull off that deed, the Technocracy would have had to have accurate information on dozens of mystic societies worldwide – several of which kept extremely low profiles – and then coordinated a simultaneous global takedown of all of them (destroying their loved ones, properties, and support personnel) while also invading Horizon (as described in several Mage Revisedsourcebooks), which would, in itself, have been the metaphysical equivalent of the Normandy Invasion. Supposedly, the Union had exterminated several hundred Awakened mages – some of whom were among the most powerful wizards in existence – while also losing vast resources to the Avatar Storm, nuking vampire-gods, and capturing the global paradigm besides? All within a matter of weeks, and with minimal notice among the Masses? And then the survivors of that massacre were supposed to have congregated among a bunch of predominantly Euro-American folks that the Crafts had spent centuries opposing? Again without notice in the budding Internet age? For these reasons among others, the concept just didn’t work for me.

Beyond all of those factors, I also really like the Crafts. Speaking personally, I find the Bata’a, Ngoma, Wu Lung, Solificati, Kopa Loei, and Ahl-i-Batin to be far more interesting and colorful than most of the Nine Traditions... and far more rooted in real-world mystic culture, too. As I said earlier, I feel it’s more constructive to give players more options, not fewerones, especially when those options reflect greater inclusion and cultural diversity. So yeah, I feel that Mage 20did need the Crafts, and lots of fans have felt the same way.

And so, Rachelle Udell and I just said, in Mage 20, “It didn’t happen the way you heard it happened.” We added a new metaplot, updated the concepts while correcting some of the glaring cultural mistakes, and left the final decisions about if, how, and where the Crafts appeared in a given chronicle up to the players, not to the metaplot.

Incidentally, I have seen references to the Disparates as “the SJW (Social Justice Warrior) Traditions”; when you consider that this sentiment denigrates people of different cultures for standing up for those cultures, especially in the face of adversity, that’s a pretty offensive sentiment. It also misses an essential fact about magick and the people who employ it: magick serves needs. If a person needs to protect her people, and she knows magick, well then, she’s gonna use magick to defend those people, and to hell with what anyone else thinks of her for doing so. This isn’t just a Mage thing – it’s a magick thing, and both past history and current events are filled with people and cultures doing just that in real life. As for folks who wonder why groups like the Sisters, the Bata’a, or especially the Dreamspeakers would be militantly angry, I’d invite those folks to look at the real-world situations of the people in question and ask, “Given what’s going on, why wouldn’t they be?”

As for the wobbly nature of the Disparate Alliance, the real world shows that such confederations are not merely “possible”; historically speaking, they change the course of history. As an example for that Alliance, look at both sides of World War II:
On the Axis side, three aspiring empires based upon racial supe-riority – yet composed of different ethnicities – banded together to conquer the world in spite of their professed distain for one another; on the Allied side, nations that had been at war with one another for centuries (in the case of France and England, for nearly 1000 years) put aside their differences to stop the Axis. In the wake of one of the most vicious wars in human history, with atrocities on both sides, the United States and Japan have become one another’s staunchest allies, to the mutual prosperity of both. England, France, and the United States present the fulcrum of the modern Western World alongside Germany, despite the many wars between them all.

And as of this writing, one of the strangest coalitions in history has banded together to stop the Islamic State – A.K.A. ISIS or Daesh – even though many of the powers involved downright loathe one another. So yes, it’s possible for groups as “disparate” as the Hippolytoi, Templars, Wu Lung, and Taftani to work together for short periods. I created the idea of that Alliance as a comment about the nature of real-life coalitions. Whether or not that particular coalition will hold together for long is a matter of debate... but then, the same could have been said of the Traditions and Technocracy in their early days as well.

Alexander Weiss
Bibliotecario de Webvampiro

Mensaje por Alexander Weiss » 12 Mar 2020, 22:04

Vamos, que simplemente le gustaban. :lol:

No sé, veo a algunos grupos de Dispares más proclives a unirse con las Tradiciones que entre ellos.

Pagliacci

Mensaje por Pagliacci » 12 Mar 2020, 22:40

Bueno, Brucato nunca ha sido santo de mi devoción, pero creo que se siente acomplejado y culpable en algún sentido por cosas que cuando escribió o escribieron eran "normales". A mí también me gustan más algunas artes que muchas tradiciones, en eso coincidimos. Algunas tradiciones se basan en paradigmas mucho menos históricos y "coherentes" que algunos paradigmas de las Artes.

Veo más verosímiles a los Ngnoma que a los Cuentasueños (el gran cajón de sastre) o a los Solificati que a los Eteritas. Por no mencionar que detrás de los Solificati, los Ngoma, los Sufíes batini o los houngan Bata´a realmente hay creencias místicas históricas detrás, pero no así con algunas tradiciones.

Los Coristas en particular se me hacen raros, tanto porque adoran a un Dios de marca blanca llamado Uno, para ecumenizar a todas las religiones monoteístas, como porque estas religiones suelen tener rituales y prácticas muy diferentes. Sé que existe un Uno en la filosofía griega cristiana neoplatónica, desarrollado por Plotino, pero no es el Uno al que siento que se refieren o al menos no está del todo hilado.

Los Cuentasueños parecen recoger todo lo que suene remotamente indígena, desde indios americanos a shangos africanos. Todas aquellas religiones paganas con un mundo espiritual desconocido por nuestra cultura. Este es un error que se menciona frecuentemente, relacionando artificialmente culturas muy distintas que no tenían nada en común salvo haber sido colonizadas por el mundo "civilizado".

Los Adeptos Virtuales y los Hijos del Éter me parecen también extraños. Los Hijos del Éter fueron una Casa de la Orden de Hermes, después una Convención Tecnocrática, ahora una Tradición y su paradigma es... ¿Ciencia victoriana, steampunk, el espíritu romántico de los clubs de caballeros? A mí no me acaban, los Solificati me dicen algo más. Y los Adeptus Virtuales me parecen todos iguales.

Con esto quiero decir, que entiendo su argumento de que algunas Artes son más interesantes y que la unión de las 9 muy dispares Tradiciones ante un enemigo común es paralela a la unión de las 11 Dispares tradiciones contra un enemigo común.

Alexander Weiss

Mensaje por Alexander Weiss » 12 Mar 2020, 22:48

Ya, pero dentro de las Tradiciones existen facciones culturales muy distintas, entre las que en 1999 fueron acogidas varias de las Artes. A la altura del siglo XX no se trata sólo de un paradigma, sino también de una Esfera común, observada bajo parámetros diferentes.

No sé, me parece más "lógico" que las Hijas de Hipólita se unan como subfacción a los Verbena, que también incluye varias artes femeninas y esgrimen principios que no desentonan tanto con ellas, que a los Templarios, a los que veo especialmente complicados de encajar con el resto de los Dispares -ya no digo con las Tradiciones.

Yo a los Hijos del Éter, aunque tengan el estereotipo de científico pulp - steampunk los veo como científicos heterodoxos, e incluso Tecnócratas renegados que simplemente consideran que la Ciencia iluminada puede convivir con otros paradigmas, e incluso es necesario para evitar que se anquilose y estanque, como ha ocurrido con la Tecnocracia. Los Adeptos Virtuales son una escisión no tanto derivada de su uso de la tecnología virtual como de su discrepancia ideológica con la Tecnocracia.

Pagliacci

Mensaje por Pagliacci » 12 Mar 2020, 22:55

Pero, haciéndome eco de Brucato, planteo ¿Absorbiendo las Tradiciones a las Artes no las están matando? No estamos hablando de linajes o líneas de sangre, sino de ideologías y paradigmas, veo útil el símil con los partidos políticos. Los Dispares podrían ser una alianza de partidos muy pequeños, quizás liderada por un señor con coleta, que lo único que tienen en común es que son de izquierdas y más o menos antisistema. Pero esa Alianza solo tiene sentido en oposición a algo, en el momento en el que se integre en el sistema (Las 9 tradiciones) la Alianza de Dispares se desintegra, como le está pasando a cierto partido.

Mu_
Narrador de Estirpe de Oriente
Narrador de Estirpe de Oriente
Mensajes miarroba: 4.106
Antigüedad: 15 de Junio de 2014

Mensaje por Mu_ » 12 Mar 2020, 23:20

Yo lo veo al revés. Las Tradiciones son muy versátiles y no tienen por qué ser europeas u occidentales. Son conceptos muy amplios, que luego se pueden concretar en grupos locales (como, de hecho, se hace).

Dentro del lore, la causa es que en un principio eran un montón de grupos dispares (uso la palabra a posta), pero ante la amenaza de la Orden de la Razón se fueron juntando esos grupos tan atomizados en grupos muchos mayores que tenían creencias o estilos similares.

* Cuentasueños: Creo que ha cometido un error la gente que lo ha entendido como la tradición de los africano-americanos. La Tradición fue la unión de los creyentes en el chamanismo, probablemente una de las creencias más extendidas por el mundo (en este sentido, Europa es una excepción, y eso es lo que puede hacer parecer que son los no europeos). Para mí, por ejemplo, los wuístas chinos y los shinto japoneses serían también Cuentasueños, como cualquier chamanismo que se pudiera haber dado también en Europa.

* Coro Celestial: Difero bastante con lo dicho, son una de las Tradiciones más fáciles de entender. Como expliqué antes, la unión de muchos grupos afines ante un enemigo común. La iluminación de la Magia hace que su paradigma sea más abstracto, por eso hablan del Uno, su creencia común.

* Los Eteritas son científicos fantásticos como los que puedes ver en enorme multitud de ficciones. El concepto me parece muchísimo más claro que el de los Solificati. No veo razón para que tenga que ser Europea, y creo que en China y Japón habría excelentes Eteritas.

* Los Adeptos Virtuales también pueden tener muchos referentes de ficción, y también pueden tener miembros de todo el mundo, obviamente más en los países más desarrollados.

* La Hermandad Akáshica es obviamente oriental. Demasiado a menudo han cometido el error de mezclar las creencias hinduistas-budistas originales, con cualquier cosa oriental. Pero es tan fácil como obviar esos grupos.

* Eutánatos: tienen grupos de muchas culturas distintas.

* Cultistas del Éxtasis: ojea el libro de tradición y verás la variedad cultural de la Tradición. Desde luego no hay nada intrínsicamente occidental en ellos.

* Verbena: están muy asociadas a la bruja europea, pero tampoco habría motivo para no incluir muchos otros grupos de otros lugares.

* Orden de Hermes: ésta sí es eminentemente occidental, pero tampoco es problema que una lo sea.

Frente a estos grupos tan amplios, los Dispares a propósito se crearon como conceptos muy concretos apegados a creencias más cerradas, relacionados con culturas muy concretas. La idea era que los grupos que no se unieron a las Tradiciones mantuvieron sus identidades cerradas. Me parecen mejor para representar la generalidad los grupos amplios de las Tradiciones, y unir a los Dispares creo que es una contradicción en sí misma.
Tình yêu cho yêu tinh

Alexander Weiss

Mensaje por Alexander Weiss » 12 Mar 2020, 23:26

No sé, yo las Tradiciones también las veo bastante multiculturales. El líder actual de la Orden de Hermes es por ejemplo un mago egipcio, el de los Chakravanti es Senex, un mago africano, de los Verbena un mago de candomblé brasileño, etc. Creo que bajo los paradigmas de las Tradiciones encajan bien las diversas culturas, ya sea como subfacciones internas propias o en torno a determinados estilos de magia. Entre los Eutántos existen cuatro grandes facciones india-céltica-grecorromana-africana (y con varias subfacciones menores), en la Orden de Hermes hay Casas de origen oriental y africano.

Vamos, que si para un Arte Dispar resulta difícil unirse a las Tradiciones, más difícil veo que se unan a otros Dispares con los que guardan menos relación todavía.

Editor completo

Volver a “Mago”